Menu Cheadle Hulme Dental And Cosmetics Logo
Referrals

Request a free consultation: 0161 486 0743

Book a free online consultation

02 December 2016

Dental Implants Manchester – Am I A Good Candidate?

If you’re considering dental implants Manchester and are looking for a highly experienced ,or dentist Manchester to help, then you might want to contact Church Road Dental and Cosmetics. Shi Karim and his team have been successfully placing implants for many years. As a result, patients can rest assured that they’re in safe and capable hands. However, it’s one thing finding the right dentist to carry out the treatment, but it’s another being eligible in the first place.

 

So what do we mean by this?

Like any type of surgical procedures there are risks involved. Even though around 95% of all dental implants are successful, meaning that the patient goes on to have many years of trouble free tooth replacement, there’s still the remaining 5% which can and do fail. In order to make sure that any implants placed have the best start in life, the patient needs to be a good candidate.

That’s all well and good, but what makes a good candidate?

Most people seeking dental implants in Manchester will firstly go through a consultation process. This involves a series of oral examinations and questions about their physical health. This is an important part of the process as it tells the dentist a great deal about whether you are ready to have dental implants or not.

In an ideal world the perfect candidate for dental implants would be someone who:

  • Has a healthy mouth, e.g, no gum disease or bacterial issues
  • Is fit physically, e.g no heart problems
  • Has no underlying physical conditions such as diabetes
  • Is a non-smoker

The reason for this is that when dental implants are placed, they take time to establish and lifestyle choices such as smoking, physical conditions such as uncontrollable diabetes, and health issues such as gum disease, can all cause the implants to fail.

So does this mean that you if you visit a dentist in manchester or a dentist in Stockport, with these conditions, you can’t have dental implants?

Not necessarily! It means that these conditions have to be addressed first. As an example let’s say you’re a smoker, then quite simply, you’ll be asked to quit. The reason is that bacteria contained in smoke can cause the dental implants to fail. Once they’re fully established, then you may resume smoking, but it isn’t advisable, especially if you want your implants to last for many years.

As a diabetic, if you have uncontrollable diabetes, it can dramatically slow down the early stages of  osseointegration (the process in which the bone tissue fuses with the titanium implant). In some cases bone fusion doesn’t occur at all, rendering the implant useless. If the diabetes is brought under control using medication, then implants have a much higher rate of success.

Gum disease can also be problematic for dental implants because the implant needs to be placed into healthy bone tissue. This isn’t the case when gum disease takes hold and it can even cause the surrounding bone tissue to start to recede. To counteract this a bone graft can be performed to build up the bone tissue that’s been lost. But this has to be carried out before any dental implants can be placed.

What you do have to remember is that whether you undergo or indeed anywhere else in the country, they require a surgical procedure. While modern technology now dictates a painless experience for patients, those with underlying heart conditions, or those who have had previous radiation treatment in and around the face area, may be placed at risk from implant surgery. As a result your dentist may discuss other potentially safer options.

If you’d like to find out further information on whether you’re a good candidate for dental implants Manchester then contact your  or dentist Stockport for a consultation. To book yours at Church Road Dental and Cosmetics, you can either visit our website or contact us directly on 0161 486 0743.

Back to Blogs

Get in touch

Treatments

Taking your smile in a positive direction

When it comes to a friendly, caring, and professional dentist in Cheadle Hulme, you won’t find better than Cheadle Hulme Dental and Cosmetics. Why not book an appointment by contacting us directly at 0161 486 0743? We look forward to welcoming you.

General Dentistry

Cosmetic Dentistry

Teeth Straightening

Dental Implants

Advanced Dentistry

Facial Aesthetics

General Dentistry

Cosmetic Dentistry

Teeth Straightening

Dental Implants

Advanced Dentistry

Facial Aesthetics

View our treatments

Tour our practice

Google Rating
5.0
Google Rating